Drama survives the zombie apocalypse

Junior Morgan Hernendez and sophomore Skyler Bastow narrate an upcoming scene in

Bridget Tolle, Pitchfork

Junior Morgan Hernendez and sophomore Skyler Bastow narrate an upcoming scene in “10 Ways to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse.”

Everyone remain calm. The government has been working on ways to get the United States through this. They’ve come up with 10 different, almost foolproof, ways to survive the dreaded thing everyone has known is coming.

The zombie apocalypse is finally here.

On Jan. 23, the drama department performed a comedy titled “10 Ways to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse,” written by Don Zolidis. This rendition was directed by drama teacher Shep Pamplin along with student director junior Sam Perry.

In this production there are four main characters: Christy, Sam, Susan and Jimmy. They are played by juniors Jewel Ashford, Jesse Dees and Amber Wilson along with sophomore Trevor Gould. These characters demonstrate the ways to not get killed by zombies. Until the end, little do they know that the zombie apocalypse is not real. The narrators were played by sophomore Skyler Bastow and junior Morgan Hernandez.

“We auditioned in class,” Bastow said. “The ones he [Pamplin] thought did best got the parts.”

After the parts were assigned, rehearsals began.

“We try to practice here [the auditorium] every day,”  Bastow said of the rehearsals leading up to the production. “Everyone is doing their best, even the set people: the people behind the scenes on light and make up.”

The night before the showing, Wilson was sickly during rehearsal. Fellow performers were worried, including the female understudy, sophomore Tabatha Butcher.

“I was concerned,” Butcher said. “There was a lot of confusion, but even in all that, the audience couldn’t tell.”

Wilson was ready for the performance the next day when production was performed. For a lot of the actors, it was their first time to be on stage in front of an audience.

“I think we did a good job,” Wilson said. “Everyone actually knew their lines.”

Pamplin saw improvements from the previous year.

“I think we have made a quantum leap forward,” he said. “We can still see where we need to improve, but we’re a lot further along than last year.”

Pamplin also said that in April an even better production from the drama department is to be expected. Now that the audience knows how to survive if a zombie apocalypse does occur, they can tell their friends and many people will live. Or they’ll be the only ones left in this world.