Students get involved with E-Vapes

E-Vapes can contain marijuana, nicotine, formaldehyde and acrolein that are all found in cigarettes and can cause cancer.

But for some people, such as freshman Jacee Hawkins, who hasn’t picked up a cigarette in four months and is proud to have quit, they can be a good thing.

“It makes me feel better about myself because I don’t have the stench of a cigarette on me anymore,” Hawkins said.

These devices have helped people come off their addiction to smoking, but professionals worry that these will cause future smokers because a user could have marijuana and nicotine provided in their E-Vape.

“I think it should be (FDA) approved,” Hawkins said. “That would be a pretty good step for the teens here in Duncan and all around.”

Hawkins says that the students at the high school are buying them just for the flavor.

One could legally use E-Vape at work and in public places. There are the E-Vape 510 Deluxe Starter kits, which are most popular, and are most comparable to the size and shape of tobacco cigarettes. A Smoktech bolt starter kit is compatible to all of the 510 atomizers, which is another name for an electronic cigarette. The eGo Starter kit that is the most latest models currently on the market.  The levels of nicotine are adjustable on the E-Vape to the level of nicotine they want.

“I have been going down nicotine levels slowly. I don’t need as much anymore,” Hawkins said.

Hawkins has three E-Vapes and all are set at 18 nicotine.

“It has helped me slowly stop and hoping to eventually get to six nicotine and then none,” Hawkins said.

However, others are using it for trending purposes.

According to www.Lancaster.com, the growing concern about E-Vapes is that 30 percent e-cigarettes contain levels of alternative forms of formaldehyde and acrolein, and that are nearly equal to the levels of found in an average cigarette. Acrolein is the simplest unsaturated aldehyde and also has a distinct smell. Formaldehyde and acrolein are known cancer causing agents. Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable gas that has a distinct, pungent smell.

The E-Vape is still in question because what is found in it, but it has helped smokers to kick the habit.