Off-school lunch ban controversy causes strong opinions

A basic privilege of high school students, excluding freshmen, is the ability to travel beyond the boundaries of the high school campus for lunch. Many students in grades ten and above exercise this right every school day. To take away this aspect of school society would have huge repercussions.

Now the administration is considering banning off-campus lunch because of excessive trash left on campus and in the alleyway to Chisholm Corner at lunch. What logic dictates this punishment? By taking away everyone’s ability to leave campus during the midday meal, the administration would also be punishing the innocent, environmentally-friendly students who take care of their trash. Students who don’t stay on campus or go to Chisholm Corner for lunch are probably not the source of the problem, and yet, they would be taking the punishment as well as the true perpetrators. Instead of punishing the innocent, perhaps the administration should be focusing on disciplining the ones who stay on campus and pollute it with their refuse–namely, the freshmen.

In addition, if students have to stay on campus for lunch, there is obviously going to be more trash, since there are more people to leave it there. And, for some reason, I doubt that the high school is prepared to handle the entire student body at lunchtime, especially with the main building now off-limits for the midday meal.

The administration is taking illogical and completely unwarranted steps to attempt to resolve their trash problem. Perhaps they should focus on punishing the guilty rather than the entire school.