Drama goes musical

Natascha Mercadante

John Fulbright sings during his performance at the Simmons Center

Music teacher Kevin Zinn and drama teacher Shep Pamplin took the drama and music students  on a trip to the Simmons Center to see singer and Grammy Award Winner John Fullbright perform on Nov. 22. The event  was a true learning experience for the music and drama students.. While the students were there, Fullbright talked about growing up, and in between songs he said that life gets better after high school. Fullbright easily connected to the younger crowd by his young attitude and love of being with teenagers and young adults.

Fullbright grew up in Bearden, Okla., on an 80-acre farm and began playing the piano at the age of 5. At the age of 21, he released the album “Live at the Blue Door,” and three years later, his first studio album, “From the Ground Up,” received a Grammy nomination in the category Best Americana Album. Americana is anything that is associated with the culture of America and its history. In September 2013, Fullbright performed at the 12th Annual Americana Music Association awards show in Nashville, where he was a nominee in the Emerging Artist of the Year category.

In October, 2012, Fullbright performed at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tribute concert honoring Chuck Berry. That December, Fullbright received the ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publisher) award at the Harold Adamson Lyric Awards Ceremony in New York City. Fullbright toured the United Kingdom earlier this year and his first performance in London was a sell-out show. The drama and music students got to experience classic bluegrass music from an original artist who has traveled the world. The students got to experience live music and rocked out in a hometown theater.