Laziness causes unforeseen problems

A school is, by definition, a place of education. Students attend school in order to learn, which is simply the process of acquiring knowledge.

Sometimes students decide to take the easy way out of their assignments and avoid acquiring knowledge. This phenomenon can take the form of disregarding instructions, refusing to devote one’s complete attention to a subject or even cheating.

Whatever the case, a refusal to learn on the part of a student disrupts the learning process. Sometimes, students are more concerned with credits, grades and/or life to really learn the information that they are supposed to.

Perhaps this is because learning usually requires effort. When people have two methods of getting from point A to point B, they usually take the path which requires less effort. The same principle applies to schoolwork. If a student can either A, work out dozens upon dozens of math questions, or B, get the answers from a friend, there is usually some desire to choose option B and save an hour or two of work. Unfortunately, the student hasn’t obtained the knowledge they would have gotten if they had worked the problems out.

This principle is applicable to other situations, as well. For instance, a student can either take advanced three-dimensional vector calculus with applications to quantum physics or introduction to the alphabet, assuming that both classes yield the same amount of credits. Due to this, the student will more than likely take Intro to the ABC’s in order to avoid the massive work load of the first option.

But this aspect of some students’ decision-making processes has a cost. The student wouldn’t learn anything from intro to the alphabet, but they would learn a lot from advanced 3-D vector calculus with apps to quantum physics, as long as they put forth the effort.

If students don’t learn, that means that the educational process–and, therefore, the school itself–has failed the student. The student doesn’t have the information he or she should have, and he or she may be unprepared for academic or real-world situations around the corner.

But that isn’t the school’s fault. Indeed, the error lies only with the student for making decisions that kept him or her from learning. They intentionally avoided the workload, and, therefore, the information. The fault is the student’s that the student is unprepared.

Uneducated students, and eventually, uneducated graduates, can affect not only the individual, but all of society. If the aforementioned people, lack the knowledge they need to face life’s challenges, then who’s going to teach that knowledge to them later?

The inclination of students to avoid work by avoiding knowledge is a highly negative one that can have repercussions on individuals for their entire life, not just their educational journey. Perhaps more students could realize this if they stopped living for the moment and started living for the moments to come.