Driving puts teenagers in the limelight

Driving, for many students, has negatively affected them and their reputations across the school, but senior Kaela Miller says that the students at the high school drive better than some adults.

“I feel that most of the teenagers I know drive safer than the adults I drive with,” Miller said.

The young drivers are usually timid, because it’s their first time driving in a car. Clint Nabors agrees that there will be drivers who will get distracted.

“There are going to be those [drivers] who think that they are invincible,” Nabors said.”And they make that one mistake that takes their life or the life of someone else.”

However, freshman Jayden Merchant disagrees.

“It’s experience that builds you into a better driver,” Merchant said.

Senior Somer Kirby feels that as long as the car is halted at a stop sign or stop light and your car is not in motion you can text.

“The driver should ignore their texts though until they get to a stopping point in their driving,” Kirby said. “It doesn’t really bother me when someone is texting while driving.”

The driving laws are also in question. Nabors believes that the laws are okay, but the first year a teenager gets their license they should have a sticker on their windshield showing that they are a new driver to the road.

“Since road rage is such a big problem in our society,” Nabors said. “It could’ve just been a sixteen year old that made the mistake.”

Teenage drivers are three times more likely to get into an accident. The major problems are paying more attention to the passengers than the road, drinking while driving, speeding and on the phone texting or calling. Over fifty percent of those crashed teenagers were not wearing their seatbelts according to Officer Wes Wainscott.

“I think that a sixteen year old is responsible enough to drive,” Wainscott said. “I just wish that they would stay off the phones and be mature when they drive.”

Overall, driving is something that will remain a freedom in the affairs of teenagers.