DECA exceeds food drive expectations

Lisa Hefner

DECA students seniors Haydn Bardsher, Jesse Hare, Cade Copeland and Asante Staley gather the final results of the recent food drive. There were approximately 1,097 cans earned overall. Arvest Bank was the sponsor of this food drive.

Food.

That is what the local branch of Distributive Education Clubs of America, or DECA, collected during the September food drive, specifically the canned variety. Not only did the club meet its goal for the drive, but they exceeded it by almost 100 cans.

“The goal was 1,000, I think we actually had 1,097 cans,” Lesa Hefner, DECA Administrator, said.

Several DECA members felt that this was a very good result for the drive.

“It went extremely well,” senior Jesse Hare, DECA President and state DECA presidential candidate, said. “From what I hear, I believe that DECA carried the day.”

The food drive was organized in cooperation with Arvest Bank.

“It wasn’t for the month of September,” Hare said. “The can drive lasted two weeks.”

The success of this latest food drive has encouraged DECA to participate in other events of this nature.

“Oh, absolutely,” senior Emily Westbrook, DECA Vice President, said. “Just the fact that it makes you feel good that you brought in so much and you had so many people working with you [is encouraging].”

According to Hefner, more activities from DECA were already on the way for this school year.

“Actually, DECA is very involved in community service projects; this is just the first of several [projects] that we’ll do during this year,” she said.

The members of DECA are more than happy to participate in community service projects and other activities that the club takes part in.

“In my opinion, it’s one of the best clubs you could possibly get into,” Westbrook said. “I just feel that we have fun together while we’re working and being serious basically all at the same time, and so far it’s really fun for me.”

DECA’s administrator says that the club offers a fun and unique learning experience for students.

“It’s for students that are interested in marketing and business entrepreneurship, those kinds of things, and it’s to improve your leadership qualities and to give you skills to be a better marketer in the future,” Hefner said. “And what’s interesting is, marketing affects all of us, whether we realize it or not, and so it’s really kind of cool to teach because it’s things that you know already. We just look at it in a different perspective.”

That perspective includes running successful food drives. That’s one more success for the local DECA club.