Hear Duncan ROAR

Christina Cuellar

Students get their roar on for the Katy Perry music video contest.

Hear Duncan’s “ROAR.”

Recently, the student body has decided to take part in the nationwideGood Morning America’s” Roar With Katy Perry contest.

“It’s a competition made for Duncan High School,” junior Student Council Vice President Carly Kirkland said.

The rules and regulations for entering this contest are simple; the school is to record a 2-minute video to a part of Katy Perry’s song “Roar” that consists of only students and administrators. Once recorded, only one student  is allowed to submit the video. Senior Student Council President Patrick Sullivan will be submitting the video. If chosen as the winning video, Katy Perry will give a surprise performance for the school and it will be broadcasted on “Good Morning America.”

The Roar with Katy Perry contest was brought for one thing and that was to bring the school together after the tragic deaths of Christopher Lane and Alyssa Wiles this past summer in the town of Duncan.

“[The world] saw us in our darkest hour,” Sullivan said.

After being seen in a time of darkness, the contest has done exactly what it was brought up to do and that was to bring the school together. After expecting an approximate number of 200 shirts to be sold, the total number — 447 — was shocking.

Both Sullivan and Kirkland agreed that there was a positive response to the contest from students. Student Council officers were proud of this outstanding accomplishment.

“We sold more shirts than [we did during] LEGGO week,” Sullivan said.

LEGGO week is an event held by Student Council that involves the whole school. Last years LEGGO week was dedicated to senior Mike Taylor. Selling more shirts for a one day contest, rather than for a week long event, is also filled with hard work.

In order to put this contest entry together by a week and a half, tasks had to be divided; seniors were in charge of the filming, juniors took over the choreography, sophomores made signs and freshman handled T-shirt sales.

Now that the work of putting the entry video together is done, the only thing left to do is wait — wait and hope that famous singer Katy Perry makes her surprise appearance.