Curriculum lacks diversity

Being unique is one of the unsaid rights a human possesses.

Each person has his or her own individual ideas, interests and needs. Stripping those away will never be an effective way for a person to grow into an independent character. Human beings are not meant to fit in boxes organized by someone else’s concept for their lives; they need to be free to find their own path. To accomplish individualism, they need to have a variety of options, especially at their most impressionable age in high school.

In 2008, the foreign language program included three classes: French, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese. French’s course teacher, Alice Mao, left faculty leaving only the other two. However, as of this year the program has been reduced from its meager two languages to only one.

The original plan involving the French program was to let students finish off their foreign language credit by keeping French 2 but cutting French 1. However, with Pam Carter’s retirement, French was entirely cut from the curriculum, leaving only Spanish.

While the Spanish language is a great tool and definitely needs to be taught, not all students plan to go on to be in a Spanish-speaking environment in the future. I personally know that I do best when I have plenty of options and resources available to me.

In addition to cutting other languages, Spanish 2 and 3 were also dropped. This has caused many students who planned to further their Spanish knowledge to be hindered.

I realize that Duncan is not a big enough city to support ample numbers of classes and teachers, but the fact that students now only have one option — actually, no option — if they plan to take a foreign language, is ridiculous.

If I’m interested in what I’m learning, there’s a much better chance that I will retain the information. It’s hard to learn in a class environment when I have no control over the class that I’m taking.

Another area of the high school that seems very limited is sports. We have all the basics and all the Title IX, but who knows how many truly genius archers and brilliant water polo players are hiding within the hallways.

I always hear the faculty preaching about preparing students for the future, but with such limited course choices, how do they expect each student to get the right course work for their corresponding career?

People are diverse by nature and they need to have a flexible learning environment. I call on the school to put into thought the needs of the individual when they are planning for future years.

Even so, all of the weight does not fall only on the shoulders of faculty and administration. If students have a strong interest in a certain class that is not offered or feel that their needs are not being met, they have every right to implore for change. Students’ options may include asking faculty, conducting a petition or even raising money to justify the addition of a course.

I truly believe the only way to achieve variety among classes at the high school is communication. Students and faculty must be respectful of each other’s rights and opinions and come together with a concise solution that everyone can agree on.