Student singers begin All Region season anxious and excited

Music is a big part of many students’ lives, whether they just love finding and listening to new artists or they participate in band or choir.

Students involved in vocal music have the option to audition for the OMEA All Region choir. The auditions were held on Sept. 14, which was earlier than it had been in previous years.

“I felt rushed because it was earlier,” senior Sam Moffatt said.

The students were required to learn four songs, two of which were in foreign languages.

“The music was very difficult this year,” senior Hudson Moore said. “I studied [the music] a lot through choir. Mr. Zinn helped me a lot.”

Other students had differing methods of preparation.

“I practiced the music on my own,” junior Alyssa Flesher said.

The auditions were held in Lawton, and the auditioners described the scene as intense and slightly chaotic.

“Everyone is focused,” Moore said. “There’s lots of singing at the same time.”

Each person has a set time they audition and once it is time, they wait outside the rooms in a hallway and wait to be called. Inside the actual audition room is a music stand and a black curtain that conceal the identity of the judge.

“I got very nervous,” Moore said.

While being nervous is inevitable, students have different ways of dealing with their nerves.

“I usually don’t get nervous until I’m outside the audition room,” Moffatt said, “but once I’m in I think ‘it’s game time’ and perform.”

After their audition is finished, the singers analyze how well they think they did.

“I felt my audition was sufficient,” Moore said.

Out of the 20 students who auditioned, 13 were selected to be a part of the All Region choir. They include seniors Jill Baker, Sydney Henricks, Moffatt and Moore; juniors Flesher, Kennedy Villalon, Chloe Harrison and Tyler Mitcham; and sophomores Bridget Tolle, Sage White and Ross Pipkin. Also, the freshmen that will be a part of the junior high choir are Rebekah Kafer and Emma Thomas.

Now that the results are in, the newly-declared All Region choir members look forward to the day of the concert.

“I’m really excited for my last year, being a senior,” Moffatt said.

The concert will be held on Oct. 14 in Lawton. Students will leave from Duncan earlier in the day for a day full of practicing the music preceding the concert.

“I really love working with people from other schools that share my love of music,” Flesher said.

The clinician, Tony Gonzales, is a big cause of anticipation as well.

“I can’t wait to work with him,” Moore said.

Overall, students are looking forward to the entire All Region experience, from diligent practice to putting on the best performance they can.