Future under construction

A construction worker digs a trench to lay plumbing and a concrete foundation for what will eventually be the new cafeteria.

Foster Gibbs/Pitchfork

constructionSMFor the first time since the early part of the 2000s, the school will be renovated.

There have been three different ballots on the issue of taxes that, if passed, would result in the school passing a bond issue to reconstruct parts of its campus.

According to information gathered from the Duncan Banner, on Feb. 14 of 2012, the third of those bond issues passed with 68.38 percent of voters. Since the bond passed with a budget of approximately $19.03 million, the high school has worked with PBK Architect to design what the high school will look like upon completion.

Some students may be interested in what will be done by the time the school year is over.

“The remodeling part of phase one should be completed by May 30, 2014,” said construction superintendent, Thomas Holt. “The addition is supposed to be complete by late July.”

Phase one consists of the west region of the main building which is currently barricaded. Phase two is the rest of the main building which should be completed by later in 2014. Phase three, the West building, should be completed by Oct. or Nov. of 2015. According to Holt, the new library, cafeteria and entry additions should be ready by the start of next year.

Some students may be more interested in what renovations will be complete in the near future.

By Oct 10 the concrete foundation should be well underway.

“I don’t know if you’ll be able to see, but we’ll be putting up some masonry walls and stud walls.” said Holt. “The plumbing should be in the foundation by then.”

The construction has also drastically hindered travel across the campus.

“I’ve been late to my second hour every day since school started”, sophomore and band student Cheyenne Battiest said. “Even when Mr. Haas lets us go early.”

For the first time in a few years, the school is undergoing change and to students this means more than a change in the form of brick and mortar, but to their daily routines.