Views on dress code policy differ

Does unnaturally colored hair distract from the educational process or simply allow for individual expression?

Skyler Baldwin/illustrator

red hair copySMThis is a year of change.

Students are adapting to differences this school year, which includes the school’s effort in becoming a blue ribbon school.

Blue ribbon schools are judged on academic performance and the students making significant improvements in their lives to become better adults.  However, some students feel that the restrictions are overbearing and a medium can be found.

“There are a lot more restrictions in school, and we’re changing to fit society,” junior Jewell Ashford said. “I feel we can be a blue ribbon school without the dress code changes.”

The changes were made to make sure students could be as professional as possible and be prepared for the work force, assistant principal Wade Hampton explained.

The blue ribbon school flag overhead has become a mark of excellence in education and recognizes parents, teachers and students.

Junior Abbie Stewart agrees with the dress code, and she feels that the school should change and the new dress code is a good way to start.

Hair and piercings have been up for debate with the students.

“I think students dye their hair for attention,” sophomore Lane Presswood said.

Ashford dyed her hair to describe her moods and not to distract the students or get attention.

“I used hair color to express what was going on because drastic changes make me feel better,” Ashford said. “Not to get noticed, just to express myself.”

Stewart feels that as long as students are not in uniforms they shouldn’t be complaining.

“We’re not having to wear uniforms, and I think that there should be some discretion on yourself of what you wear,” Stewart said.

There are strong opinions on gauging ears. Some students are okay with it, others not so much.

“They don’t look appealing,” Presswood said. “I don’t see the point in gauging your earlobe.”

A portion of students won’t follow the new dress code rules.

“I think that people should follow the rules, but half the people don’t care,” Presswood said.

Ashford feels that coloring your hair isn’t related to school but more of an outside hobby.

“Hair color isn’t just for school, in fact it’s more of an at home activity than anything,” Ashford said.

This is definitely a year of change, and the students are going to have to learn to cope with the new blue ribbon standards. Even if it means giving up colored hair, gauges and piercings.