• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Science Fiction/Double Feature

The Palace Theater marquee displays the film's name for attendees.

Kristen Arrington

Riley Butler, Reporter

In celebration of Halloween, Main Street Duncan Inc. hosted a showing of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” on Saturday, October 27. The film is a 1975 comedic horror/science-fiction musical widely regarded as a cult classic.

Main Street Duncan Executive Director Destiny Ahlfenger recognizes the event as more than just a small fundraiser.

“The Main Street Duncan board members were looking for a new, fun event for our community, and after some brainstorming, we decided to partner with the Palace Theater to offer ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show,’” Ahlfenger said. “It’s going to be something that our community enjoys in coming years.”

Held for the first time in the city’s history, the event featured concessions, a costume contest for groups and individuals with prizes for first, second and third places and a photo booth by Debbie Duggar Visuals.

The R rating of the film, Ahlfenger said, should not deter older students from attending the event.

“We want our downtown events to encompass everyone of all ages. Obviously, we’re going to make sure that those folks that see the film are of age, but I think people of all ages can come together and enjoy. Having the film played in our theater is actually a huge opportunity for us to enjoy something different in our community,” she said.

Main Street representatives hope future showings of the film will bring greater attendance and participation in the costume contest than this year’s.

During the film, the Main Street representatives encouraged the audience to sing along. Plans for showings of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Palace Theater may also feature further involvement with audience members following the fan-devised audience participation scripts.

About the Writer
Riley Butler, Reporter

Riley Butler is a senior who has been in and out of the newsroom since sophomore year, and is excited to finally participate as a full member of the Pitchfork...