• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before: Movie Review

Ryn Swinson, Reporter

Many suckers for a good romantic comedy have fallen in love with the new Netflix film “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” Based on Jenny Han’s young adult novel by the same name, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” stars Lana Condor as Lara Jean Covey, who gives an amazing and honest depiction of a messy, imaginative high schooler. Feeling invisible in her school, Lara Jean is immediately horrified to discover her love letters have gotten out.

Lara Jean is often able to depend on her family and friends. The story shows positive role models, such as an older sister who simply wants the best for herself and her younger sisters and a single dad who takes his parental job seriously. With family dinners and a loving trip to the nearby diner, the Covey family

depicts a loving and supportive household. Her family members aren’t the only positive models in her life. Lara Jean always has a friend or two that jumps to her defense. Such as Chris, portrayed by Madeleine Arthur. Chris is her best friend and is an absolute favorite of mine throughout the film. A loud, unique character who says whatever is on her brain, she shows that nobody should be afraid to be themselves.

The film portrays many positive messages. It teaches its young audience self confidence and valuing yourself. It also promotes honesty and strong family values. The storyline even gives a small glance into some of the effects of cyberbullying.

Despite all the love, the movie tends to be predictable. It flaunts the cliques of high school and contains a “Mean Girls” type of situation. However, the movie gives plenty of cute and comedic scenes, such as a quick escape from her window, and a weekly Friday movie night with her little sister. And with a Asian American at the center of attention, it shows a representation that is rare in films which gives me a high school love story to believe in. It is no wonder the cast is already rumoring about a sequel.

With a whole trilogy about the beloved characters sold by book carriers everywhere, the cast have made many tweets and rumors about a possible sequel which has given hope to the already devoted fans of the film. “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is definitely a film to check out.

About the Writer
Ryn Swinson, Reporter

Ryn is new to the Pitchfork Staff. She enjoys writing, reading, as well as singing. She spends most of her time binging Supernatural and cuddling her dog....