• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Four Duncan athletes take home state titles

All of the boys' state qualifiers stand upon the podium to receive the academic state champion award.

Tim Buben

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

Whether it be football or track, winning state is one of the highest achievements a high school athlete can hope for. Friday and Saturday, May 11 and 12, four of Duncan’s track athletes were able to achieve that goal.

In one year, sophomore Roderick Standokes has become a two-time state champion when he won both the 100m and 200m dash events. Now he has two more years ahead of him to maintain the title.

“I just have to work hard to keep getting first,” Standokes said.

Senior Connor Roddy won his fourth discus state championship in a row, making him the only Duncan athlete to win the same event four consecutive years.

“It’s been an honor to be able to compete and win at the state level for four years,” Roddy said.

Connor was not the only Roddy to win a discus state championship, his brother Kevin Roddy won his junior and senior years before Connor began his high school athletic career.

“Carrying on the Roddy legacy of winning the discus state title has been the opportunity of a lifetime and I’m extremely thankful for everyone who helped me to make the dream become a reality,” he said.

While throwing has been a huge part of Roddy’s life, it is something he will be giving up as he moves on to Texas A&M..

“Retiring my throwing career was a very difficult decision, but I believe as I move on to college, being able to focus on school work will make it a good decision,” Roddy said.

Senior Rosaria Milton qualified for the state meet her sophomore year, but did not place, and last year she was able to achieve fourth place. This year she took first in the shot put throw, something she has been battling for during her whole high school career.

“It’s every athlete’s dream to win big in what they do, and to win state in what I do just feels like a dream come true,” Milton said. “It’s a blessing.”

Next year she hopes to be attending NWOSU and continue her throwing career there.

Winning the 100m hurdles is something senior Savannah Reynolds will never forget.

“It was an unforgettable feeling [winning state] because I’ve worked so hard for it and the practicing finally felt like it paid off,” Reynolds said.

Reynolds will continue running track and field, but this time at UCO.

“I feel like this is just the beginning,” she said. “Even though I won state I’m going to have to work a million times harder to be able to be successful at the collegiate level.”

All four of these athletes are heading in different directions, but winning a state championship ties them all together.