• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Duncan track and field successful at state tournament

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

May 11-12 was the annual 5A state track meet, where the Demons had a fair amount of success. Many people placed at the meet on both the boys’ and girls’ teams.

Friday, senior Savanna Reynolds placed second in the high jump, an event she began training for only this year. The very next day she placed first in the 100m hurdles. She was also able to place third in the 300m hurdles. Junior Mikayla Gibson was able to take fourth in the 100m hurdles as well as fourth the 300m hurdles. Sophomore Katlin Hunter took sixth in the 100m hurdles.

For the boys’ team, sophomore Roderick Standokes was also able to win the 100m dash alongside the 200m dash. Sophomore Jaivion Dangerfield was able to place third in the long jump ahead of senior Coby Kirkland who placed fifth. Kirkland also place third in the 110m hurdles. The boys’ 4x800m relay team consisting of junior Sam Petersen, senior Braden Ledford, senior Aaron Bryant, and freshman Blake Meadows placed sixth.

On the throwing side of things, senior Connor Roddy placed second in shot put on friday. The very next day he would take first in the discus throw for his fourth time in a row making him the only person from Duncan to win four state championships in a row in the same event. This also marks the sixth year in a row that a Roddy has won the discus state championship due to Connor’s older brother, Kevin Roddy, winning his junior and senior years.

Senior Rosaria Milton also won first in the shot put on Saturday.

At the end of the meet, Duncan brought home five state championships and the boys’ team was state runner-up and academic state champions.