• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Lady Demons win second golf state tournament in a row

Madelyn Harper

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

The Lady Demon’s golf team has done it again. Duncan’s girls golf team took state for the second time in a row. This being the third time in the past four years. Alongside being state champions, they were also named state academic champions.

Senior Vanessa Moore is very proud to have been a part of three state championships.

“I’ve always considered it as a huge accomplishment for myself and my team for the number of state championships we have been a part of,” Moore said. “I am blessed to be able to have carried on the legacy of Duncan girls golf.”

As for the season, every tournament has been memorable to Moore.

“Each and every win has been memorable beyond words,” she said. “This year we have been consistently ahead of other teams.”

The state tournament this year was cut short for the girls golf team. Usually the state tournament lasts two day, but this year the second day was rained out. At the end of the first day, Duncan was ahead of second place, Collinsville, by 26 strokes with a score of 314 strokes.

“I believe that if we would’ve been able to play the second day, the gap would’ve only been even wider,” Moore said.

In the end, the Lady Demons took their second state title in a row and have been very successful in the past four years with a total of three state titles.