• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

A glance at misogyny in the world today

Braden Mowdy, Opinion Editor

With the rise of female voices and an ever growing social movement for gender equality, it can be easily forgotten that there are places where progress is not being made. These places can range from entire nations to small factions of a society.

Misogyny can come in many extremes. One of these extremes is violence and murder, which is currently an issue in El Salvador.

In El Salvador, women face the threat of violence every day. Femicide, the murder of women because they are women, is rampant in the small nation. According to the Institute of Legal Medicine (IML), there were 1,097 homicides against women between 2015 and 2016. The source of the murders? Gang violence.

Gang violence in El Salvador has caught international attention. Most of the violence is between men, but women have been caught in the crossfire. These crimes against women often don’t get the justice that is deserved. Out of 662 cases filed by the Office of the Prosecutor between 2013 and 2016, a mere five percent achieved the necessary justice, according to Univision.

Women can face harmful violence that isn’t necessarily physical, too. The deprivation of education of young girls is a weapon of control over women and forcing them to submit to men can cause emotional damage. Although this is nearly unheard of in the United States, women elsewhere struggle against this on a day to day basis. In Pakistan, women face challenges achieving education.

In 2007, the Taliban took control over parts of eastern Pakistan. The Taliban is known for holding an extreme ideology and this greatly affects women under their influence. According to a report from Human Rights Watch, around 900 girls’ schools were shut down and 120,000 girls were forced leave school. Relief of education is an effective method of control, therefore making it easier for the Taliban to control the people of their society.

Though America’s society is very privileged, there are places here that women face challenges. Throughout the United States and Canada, indigenous women are victims of constant abuse. Statistics from the National Institute of Justice show that 84 percent of indigenous women have faced violence in their lifetime. These alarming statistics show the deeply marginalized world that native women face in our own country, and they aren’t alone.

As more women join men in the workforce, more inequalities have become evident. The average woman makes 77 cents where a man makes a dollar. The fact that women in a country that boasts of freedom and equality and cannot give equal pay for equal work is ridiculous, and it gets worse than that. On average, according to the American Association of University Women, black women make 63 percent of what men make, Hispanic women make 54 percent, and Native American women make 57 percent of what their white male counterparts make. White women, on the other hand, make 77 percent and Asian women make 90 percent. These income inequalities keep women, especially women of color, having to work harder to make a income equal to that of a white man’s.

If America could eliminate its struggles on its homefront, then it would set a good example for other nations to follow. This is something our country needs to do, and the world will follow. It is up to the nations leading the global economy to create a better environment that works for all people, regardless of gender.