• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Swimmers ready to dive into Regionals

Junior Amanda Gonzalez is pictured competing at the SW Conference.

Daysia Blackwell

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

A red light shines signaling the start of the first race. The swimmers dive in and put all their hard work to the test, but the real test will be at regionals in Edmond on Feb. 2 and 3.

Junior Haegan Looney has been preparing all year for this meet and hopes to improve over his times from last year.

“I have done pretty well this semester and I have improved on my times,” Looney said.

Looney started swimming in his sophomore year and currently swims in the 100 meter fly, 100  meter backstroke, and 200 meter freestyle, as well as the 200 meter freestyle relay and 400 meter freestyle relay.

Junior Amanda Gonzalez, who started swimming in her sophomore year, had a harder time compared to Looney this season.

“I think this year was more of a struggle because I was sick for a long time and have been injured many times,” Gonzalez said.

However, Gonzalez has competed in several events while she was able to this year. She has been in the 50 meter, 100 meter, and 200 meter, 400/500 meter freestyles, the 100 meter butterfly, 100 meter breaststroke, 200 meter medley relay, and the 200 meter and 400 meter freestyle relays.

David Pollock, a senior swimmer and the team’s captain, believes that the team has come a long way since the season has started.

“As a team we have had quite a few brand new swimmers and a few first timers from last year that have really impressed me on how far they have come,” Pollock said.

He also has high hopes for himself in his last season.

“Personally I have taken a lot of time off from last year and I’ve been told I could place top eight at state,” he said “I’m the best I’ve ever been.”

Pollock swims in the 100 meter breaststroke, 200 meter medley relay, and the 100 meter freestyle most often. Sometimes swim coach Andrew Bowers will switch him between those and the 50 meter freestyle, 200 meter relay, and 400 meter relay depending on what is needed for that meet.

Pollock will be graduating this year, but does not plan on completely abandoning swim.

“I might come back if I have time and swim for fun with next year’s team if they need help with coaching and stuff,” he said.

Next year Looney and Gonzalez  will be in their last season and only see improvement for themselves.

“I see myself being a lot better and faster,” Looney said.

Jan. 26 the Demons swam against Altus. It was planned for Lawton to also compete, but due to them canceling school they did not come. Overall the Demons lost to Altus, with a few swimmers placing second and third in their events, but what really counts is how the team does at regionals this coming weekend.

About the Writer
Andrew Riley, Reporter

Andrew Riley is a reporter that started this year at the beginning of the second semester. He is a junior involved in NHS and the high school’s track and field team. Andrew enjoys hanging out with friends, working on his truck, and going to car shows and cruises.