• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Student run Instagram account hopes to spread positivity

Baylee Elam, Web Editor

With the start of 2018, many have the mindset to make this year a positive one. To aid in spreading this joyous mindset, a group of students have created the Instagram account, duncanhypes. There are four sophomores and one freshman that control the account. The owners of the account remain anonymous and instead have designated emojis to inform their followers of who has posted. A freshman that chooses to be known as the hawaiian flower emoji explains the group’s decision to remain anonymous, but they might change this decision later on and reveal who they are.

“We all agreed to stay anonymous for a while. We plan on maybe coming out and revealing who we are at some point,” Hawaiian emoji said. “For now, we don’t want people to know. It shouldn’t matter who we are, we’re just trying to spread love and positivity through the town and high school.”

Another member of the group explains their own reasoning behind remaining anonymous is due to the possible reaction of their peers.

“If we come out and tell people who we really are, I feel like there may be negative backlash and we may be told that we are only doing this for attention, which isn’t the case,” a sophomore that is known as the sunflower emoji said.

The group had the mindset to spread positivity through the social media app by posting uplifting quotes and images.

“We wanted to make the account because it was the new year and it was something that we agreed we all needed. 2017 was tough so we made a positivity account to make it a good start to 2018,” Sunflower emoji said.

The group has no set schedule of posting. Instead, each member posts whenever they come across an image or quote they like and want to share. The images they post come from other sites like Tumblr. Sunflower emoji shares that their favorite image they’ve posted so far is a colorful image with the saying, “everything will be so good so soon, just hang in there and don’t worry about it too much.”

“I think this one is my favorite because it’s a quote that really helped me when I was going through a rough time,” Sunflower emoji said.

The group feels that positivity plays an important role in everyone’s lives. A sophomore that goes by the penguin emoji explains why positivity is important to them.

“I think it has a huge impact on everyday activities,” Penguin emoji said. “Even though being positive is sort of a cliche thing for people these days, it really did help me personally when going through rough times and it helped me be myself and accept myself.”

By creating the duncanhypes account, this group of students is hoping to make a change in the overall mood of the school and community one post at a time.