• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Demons gain a learning experience at the Chickasha tournament

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

Last weekend the Duncan Demons faced off against Decatur, Altus, and US Grant in the Chickasha basketball tournament. They placed sixth out of the eight teams that participated in this competition, but they still have a better record than they did last year.

The first game they played was against Decatur, which did not go as planned.

“We didn’t play how we were capable of,” junior Kevin Wilson said.

This game ended in a loss for the Demons, but did not lead to streak of losses. The next game they played against Altus was a completely different matter.

“It [the Altus game] was totally different,” Wilson said.

This game was a win for Duncan and gave a boost of confidence to the team.

The last game of the tournament for the team was against US Grant. This game ended up being very close. Coach David McGuire says that the team was not very consistent.

“We were very up and down with our execution,” McGuire said.

Duncan was down quite a bit in the first quarter, but had caught up by halftime and even took the lead in the fourth quarter.

“When you lose by three points and miss eight free throws,” McGuire said, “there were a lot of opportunities to win.”

Every day the team works on consistency in practice and currently sits with six wins out of their nine games, one more win than the team ever had last year.

Senior Grant Braught has high goals for the team this year and believes that they have a better chance to achieve them than last year.

“We are way better and more mature,” Braught said.

Wilson also believes that if the team plays at their full ability all the time, they will be a contender for state this year. He, himself, has spent a lot of time working on improving his game.

“This summer I constantly worked on my jumpshot and it’s worked out for me,” Wilson said. “My offensive game is much better than last year, but there’s still a lot I can work on.”

Braught has big goals for the team this year, wanting to make it to the state tournament.

Wilson too, has very high goals for himself, wanting to be a division one basketball player in college after high school.

Duncan has nine more games, and consistency throughout the second half of the season is going to be the key to advancing through the playoffs this year.