Demon basketball kicks off the season with SOI tournament

Demons celebrate Abbi Price's winning three point shot.

Harper Pitts

Demons celebrate Abbi Price’s winning three point shot.

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

Last week, Duncan’s Southern Oklahoma Invitational (SOI) basketball tournament was held. On Thursday the Lady Demons faced off against Ada and won the game 28-25 with a buzzer beating shot by sophomore Abbi Price. The shot was taken after Ada inbounded the ball and it made its way toward Price with less than a second left on the clock.

This moved the Lady Demons on to the semifinals against Norman to take place Friday. They lost this game 51-29 and it put them in the bracket to compete for third place on Saturday.

The other team playing for third place was Lawton High after they lost to Newcastle on Friday. The third place game ended very close with the Lady Demons taking the win 36-33. The winner of the girl’s bracket for the SOI tournament was Norman, blowing out Newcastle in their 54-36 win on Saturday.

On the other side of things, Duncan’s boys started off their SOI tournament with a 61-46 win against McAlester on Thursday night. This put them in the position to play against Lawton High the following night in the semi-finals; however, they lost this game 75-55, putting them in the third place bracket.

The Demons played against Lawton MacArthur who they previously played on Tuesday in a 58-55 win. Luck was not on their side in this rematch, however, as Lawton MacArthur won 67-45 over the Demons, putting the Demons at a fourth place overall finish. The winner of the boys bracket for the SOI basketball tournament was Lawton High in their 43-39 win over the Cache Bulldogs.