• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

“The Glass Castle” shatters expectations

Harper Pitts, Reporter

“The Glass Castle” is a memoir written by Jeannette Walls, which recounts her life as a poverty stricken child. She lived with her mother, father, younger brother, and older sister. Although Walls’s father was an abusive alcoholic, when he was sober he taught them physics and geology and was a caring man. Her mother taught them to always use their imagination and was a delicate person, but never wanted to to take care of the family. As Walls grew into her teenage years, she realized how dysfunctional her family was and wished to leave to New York after graduating, taking her siblings with her. As a result of them moving out, her parents became homeless,causing more problems.

This book is difficult to put down. There is a good blend of excitement and feelings while still keeping you hooked. It is graphic in a way, because the author was sure to not sugar coat and wasn’t afraid to say what she meant. When it comes to the mental (and sometimes physical) abuse she and her siblings went through, she didn’t back down from putting in the little details that made you feel as if you were there watching it happen. The father loved to tell the children about hopes and dreams for a better future, but when they grew up and stopped listening to his lies, he was broken and tried everything to make them stay. I believe that anyone who reads this book could benefit in some way or another.