Band director proves to be exemplary

Emma Banks, Managing Editor of Pitchfork Magazine

Band Director Jeramy Haas has recently been awarded the Oklahoma Music Educators Association (OkMEA) Exemplary Teacher Award, to be recognized in Tulsa on Jan. 18. Haas was nominated by another band director in the state without him even knowing about it.

“I didn’t know that someone had nominated me until I was contacted by the past president of OkMEA,” Haas said. “They called me and said I had received the award.”

Because the ceremony in January is in Tulsa, Haas does not see all of his band students making the trip for it. However, it is during band’s All State contest, which may mean that some of Haas’ All State students make the trip up to Tulsa with him.  

“If I have some all-state students I’m sure they will probably come, but my wife will be there and I’m sure Mr. Williams,” Haas said.

Haas said that he feels grateful for winning the award partly because he was nominated by a peer, but he is also grateful for his students.

“I feel very grateful, very honored because I was nominated by another director and voted on by other music teachers to receive the award,” he said. “The students are the ones that make all this music happen and do all the cool and awesome stuff, so I’m just grateful for them.”