• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

It all started with a costume party

The Mystery Gang poses for a picture during Halloween night, (left to right) Connor Roddy, Emma Banks, Andrew Riley and Mackenzie Cook. The friends decided to bring out the costumes one more time for this season to pass out candy to children and enjoyed the smiles their costumes evoked.

Molly Cook

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

It all started with a costume party. Every year New Hope Baptist Church has a costume party around Halloween for the youth group and our group of friends, Connor Roddy, Mackenzie Cook, Emma Banks and myself, dressed up as the Mystery Gang from “Scooby Doo.” Two of us, Emma and I, are in student journalism and thought this would be a good way to take a break from it all. We went to this costume party and actually won the prize for best group costume.

Afterward, we decided to stop by Viridian Coffee to see one of Emma’s friends. As we walked in we instantly became the center of attention. All the workers stopped what they were doing and told us how much they loved our costumes. Even some adults inside could not take their eyes off of us.

We eventually left and decided to go to Wal-Mart. Yes, we were still in our costumes. We probably walked around the store for about 20 minutes. Four groups of people asked to take pictures of us. We got many laughs out of people and even some hollers of enjoyment from people as we walked past. The funniest part of this endeavor was that we ran into at least four people that I knew. We even posted a picture of us in our costumes while we were there and Wal-Mart replied to the tweet.

At first I was embarrassed to be seen wearing costumes like that inside of Wal-Mart, but as more and more people laughed and asked to take pictures with us, I realized that it was not embarrassing. It was something that brought joy to some people’s lives and brightened their day just a little bit. When Emma and I told the The Pitchfork staff about this adventure even they got a laugh out of it. That is something that I truly enjoyed and I will definitely being going into a store dressed up as some character sometime again soon if not for the people who see us, but to at least get our staff laughing.

About the Writer
Andrew Riley, Reporter

Andrew Riley is a reporter that started this year at the beginning of the second semester. He is a junior involved in NHS and the high school's track and...