Band regionals results in excitement for state

The Duncan High School band put in many hours of practice to get to where they are now. Due to their performance in regionals, band members are excited for how they will do at the state competition in April.

Daysia Blackwell

Andrew Riley, Sports Editor

Tuesday band placed at regionals and qualified for a chance to win sweepstakes in April. This year the theme was “Oh what a world.” Last season the band did not qualify for this opportunity. The band made it out of competition with two superior ratings and an excellent rating Tuesday from the three judges, superior being the highest and excellent being the second highest. Senior Daniel Peercy believes they have the potential to win sweepstakes this year.

“Last time we won sweepstakes was my freshman year [2015], but I feel good about how much our band has improved every week this year,” Peercy said. “We now have to transition to concert band and get ready for state in April.”

Senior Harold Moran also thinks their music has been improving quite a bit.

“The way we played musically during marching season was the best I believe since I’ve been in high school band,” Moran said. “We are definitely on track for it [winning sweepstakes].”

The band feels good about where they stand, but they have a few months to prepare before they compete for state.