Pep assemblies need a pep-up

Pep rallies seem to be getting quite stale, but they don’t have to be. I say that because the routine is the same, and the changes aren’t happening fast enough. The speeches tend to be so similar, and the games that are being introduced only have a few players out of the hundreds of students in attendance of the event.  

We have pep rallies to promote school spirit, unify the student body and recognize various clubs and sports teams. They are necessary because they bring school spirit, and while I hate to admit it, it is important. Without school spirit, the school really does resemble a prison. It is what separates schools like ours from prisons and child labor. However, like all things, pep rallies have room to grow.

I know the student council is already doing games, but we need games that include more people. We need games that don’t force just a few people to come on the gym floor in front of such a big audience. I really do believe that the pep rally games we use now don’t appeal to any introvert or any person who is a victim of stage fright. However, it doesn’t have to be this way, and some people already have the right idea.

The student council, Mrs. Wainscott and everyone else who has been working on the pep rallies are awesome, and they need to keep up the good work. However, I have a few suggestions.

We can have better games and maybe some activities. For example, they can post a multiple-choice question on social media, have people answer it then display the appropriate answers. Maybe they could even ask the students and get some good feedback on what games we could play. It could get a bunch of students involved in the improvement process.   

They can do a sort of competition by having four beach balls, one for each grade group, and see who can bounce it around the longest. They could issue prizes to whatever grade group wins. They could hold a single elimination, class vs. class tug of war tournament, but make it so sophomores only compete with sophomores, juniors only compete with juniors, etc. For example, there could be Mrs. Sturgell’s first hour vs. Mrs. Taylor’s first hour. They could also issue some kind of prize to the winning class, like candy or a donut breakfast. It needs to be something that the whole class can enjoy.

They should also tell the students what the games could be ahead of time. That could be helpful to people that want to know what is going on before they volunteer.

The games would be a major improvement to the pep rallies by inspiring more variety and, most importantly, fun. Plus, the games would allow a larger number of students to participate.

Enough about games, let’s talk about music. Let’s say for a minute that we changed up a few songs. The band could do more than just the songs that they normally do. I’m not saying we should scrap the songs all together; I’m just saying we mix it up a bit. Use some different songs than what we normally do. That could help inspire school spirit even more.

Then, let’s move on to speeches. The sports teams need to have better speeches because they usually say the same thing, and they can improve this by putting more time and work into their speeches. Also, let’s give them background music, but we can set it at a volume that we can hear both the speech and the music clearly. Think about it: in the movies, a good speech is made better with background music like “Braveheart,” Independence day” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.”

My point being, student council is doing a great job, but pep rallies need to have more variety and more feedback from other students. This way, we hear more of what the students actually want. If the student council and everyone else who works on the pep rallies uses that, then I’m confident that school spirit will be stronger than ever.