Revi$ion of Financial literacy i$ required

Life: You didn’t do your taxes, so you’re going to jail.

Me: But the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

Life: Do you even know what taxes are?

Me: A squared plus b squared equals c squared …

This is going to be a conversation between me and Life in the future since the Personal Financial Literacy class I took freshman year was insufficient in teaching me how to actually be literate in my future personal finances.

The purpose of the class is to teach students how to handle money when they’re older, such as how to balance a checkbook, how to file for insurance and how to pay taxes.

Although I’m pretty certain that in my class we briefly went over aspects of things like that, the useful information wasn’t gone over very well and therefore not imprinted into my brain like immensely important information should be. In my class we received packets of worksheets over subjects, such as mortgage payments, and we were told to read over them and complete the questions that went along with the text. Sometimes we would go over the information as a class, and at the time the work seemed simple.

But as I sit here, I’m trying to think of the first step in paying for a mortgage or paying taxes, and I can’t remember any useful information that could help me.

This is kind of sad, because the whole point of school is so you can, ya know, learn things. And then remember those things so they can be used in your adult life.

So evidently for me, the one semester Personal Financial Literacy class was ineffective, and I think that the entire program should be rethought and rejuvenated so that it can benefit students more.

Maybe the Personal Financial Literacy class should me made into a two part class, one class to take as a freshman so that freshmen turning 16 will know some of the basics of finance as they are able to get jobs. The other class might be a senior class so that, as they’re graduating and emerging into the new world, seniors can learn how to pay taxes and pay a mortgage.

Maybe some better lesson plans would be like giving students a monopoly money sort of thing and letting them get fake experience buying things, living on a budget and paying taxes.

Money is something that every student is going to have to deal with for the rest of their lives. So high school should be teaching us how to handle it in the future instead of skimming through the basics of finance and throwing us to the wolves of the real world.