FFA attends county show

From Feb. 29 through March 4 the Future Farmers of America (FFA) went to the Stephens County Junior Livestock Show. Many students showed various animals including barrows, gilts and heifers. Some of the showings are listed below.

Bailey Teakell received breed champion for her berk barrow. Makaylee Schulz received second in class for her berk barrow. Abbea Cramton received second in class for her Poland barrow. Te Yahta Easley received second in her class for her spot barrow. Emory Schulz received third in class with her Duroc barrow.  Michaela Taylor received third in class with her Chester barrow. 

Alexandra Nash received breed champion and grand champion for her cross gilt. Bailey Webb received breed champion for her berk gilt. Kylie Pewitt received first in class for her cross gilt.

Olivia Churchman received breed champion for her red angus heifer. Ashton Lynn (suffolk wether lamb), Aliyah Smith (simmental heifer) and Carter Oyster (AOB heifer) received reserve breed in their respective categories.

All of the aforementioned animals were part of the bonus sale. A bonus sale at the county level is an auction where students get money from the booster club for their animal. Some businesses will even sponsor students. At a higher level the students will actually sell their animals.

Aubrey Edmonson, Baylee VanOven, Shelby Pewitt and Cody Malbrough also showed but did not make the bonus sale.

Many FFA students will are attending OYE from March 9 until March 18.