Crowds disturb the official call of the games

Students and parents alike complain about the referees and officials. This issue occurs in all sports but escalates toward the more controversial of sports.

During basketball games, students are only a few stairs away from the action and tend to cause commotion in the student section. I think it’s mainly because the graduates tend to come back and revisit their favorite spot at the games. They tend to not care about the rules after they leave and teach younger attendees the improper way to support their team.

Being a referee in any sport in general is beyond difficult when it comes to keeping up with the players and keeping a watchful eye.

For example, last year at a high school soccer game, pretty early in the season, a player clearly being offside was passed a ball. I don’t think the referee noticed it, or the sideline referee, because it was pretty close. Either way the foul wasn’t called, but the coaches and crowd were equally upset. As a spectator, and being a referee myself, I was disappointed in the fact they missed the foul, but admittedly they don’t always see or notice these things until a little later.

Until about halftime, the crowd was a bit out of control. Yelling the referees does nothing more than distract them from the job they are supposed to do. I can tune out a small amount of parents on a bleacher, but being in the stadium setting would be so much more difficult tuning out a thousand opinions.

Seems like every game there is some sort of rumor the opponent paid for their win or there was a certain favoritism towards a team.

The judgment always comes down to whatever the official saw last. Making no call is always a bad call and calling every last foul is annoying.

In every set of game play there is a call to be made; however, not every last one can be made. There probably wouldn’t be much of a game if this were to happen. Oftentimes, both teams create a foul at the same time. It’s about who was first to make said foul, such as a player pushing another player. Sometimes it’s an accident; however, when the foul comes up there is only a few seconds to make the call.

A problem that remains is the crowd screaming about how much they disagree, but little does the crowd know referees oftentimes see more than a crowd thinks.

There are a few times when referees should make obvious calls, but maybe they didn’t feel there was a reason to call it out at the time. Most of the time, this call is based on the opinion of the referee and severity of the “crime.”

Viewers don’t quite understand the lack of visuals an official can have. The attendants of a game are set back and have a higher up view, but they aren’t surrounded by other players and have to watch where they step every 20 seconds. Any bad move on an official who is in the action could cause more mayhem than a terrible call. The constant stopping of the game would even cause an eruption of “ref you just called that!” from the crowd itself. Seems like no spectator is ever happy at the end of a game.

I don’t think people quite understand what it takes to really be in the position of an official, unless they were or are one. The viewers shouldn’t just assume it’s going to be a perfect, nor terrible, game.

The disturbing crowds can cause a lack of focus in the official call of a game in any sport.