Alumna sings her way to the top of the charts

Laura Stockton, a Duncan High School graduate, better known to the music industry as Laura Leighe is becoming the next big thing on the club dance music charts. Her new single “Boys Just Wanna Have Fun” has just hit number 33 on the Billboard Club Dance Music Charts in the U.S. and number five on the Music Week Pop Club Charts in the U.K.

“I was completely thrilled and still can’t believe that it’s actually anywhere on any charts, much less on pop club charts in two countries in the same week,” Stockton said.

This is the first time Stockton has ever hit the charts in any country, so this was very exciting for her.

“When I found out, I had been working all night, into early morning here in L.A. time, I received an email from my team notifying me we had just hit the charts, and I just looked at Trent [executive producer/husband] and said, ‘We Charted!’ Then jumped up and down whisper screaming, trying not to wake the neighbors upstairs. It was an amazing and immensely rewarding moment that I am still pinching myself over.”

Stockton started her music journey in Duncan at age 11.

“Growing up in Duncan was the best,” Stockton said. “I feel unbelievably blessed to have grown up in a town that has such a strong sense of community, and the best and most fun music programs in the state, and probably in the country. I’m truly not kidding.”

Stockton started taking piano lessons at age eight and vocal lessons at age 11. She then began competing in the American Kids Vocal competitions. At age 14, she won the title of National Vocal Grand Champion and soon after started writing her own music and songs with help from the youth pastor at the First United Methodist Church. She was also part of the Reflections program at Duncan High School.

“Being in Reflections was the most joyful experience, and honestly, my deep love for classic harmonies and retro sounds comes from the awesome and rich music instilled in us by Kevin and Jimmy Zinn,” Stockton said. “The songs and melodies stayed with me, and naturally have come out in my songwriting.”

During and after high school, Stockton sang everywhere she could. This included performing during the Duncan High School, University of Oklahoma and later Oklahoma City Thunder games.

She went to the University of Oklahoma and majored in vocal music education.

Stockton released her first album under her maiden name, Laura Gossett, in 2009, titled “Unreal.”

Later she moved to Los Angeles and met new producers and started to develop a retro pop sound for her following two EPs with drummer Zach Dumbleton, and executive producer and husband Trent Stockton between 2013 and 2014 called “The Laura Leighe EP” and the “Next Please EP.” Her hit single “Boys Just Want to Have Fun” will be released on iTunes on Dec. 11, and her album “Cherry on Top” will be released sometime in early 2016.

“I am so excited for this new project, ‘Cherry on Top,’ as we have done a lot of fine tuning and truly created something new and fresh with an electro swing pop sound,” Stockton said.

For more of Stockton, follow her on her social media accounts.

Instagram: @lauraleighe1

Facebook: www.facebook.com/lauraleighe

Twitter: @laura_leighe

tumblr: lauraleighemusic