Technology club prepares for competition

Jerad Armstrong, Pitchfork

A member of the new Technology Student Association Club works on a project. The club would like members who aren’t in one of the Science Technology Engineering and Math classes in the club as well. Meetings are the second Tuesday of each month before school and during sixth hour.

Most people don’t think of fashion design, children’s stories and architectural renovation when they think of technology. In new club TSA (Technology Student Association), though, these are just a few areas in which a student can compete.

The club will be going to regional and state competitions in February and April. Freshman Madelynn Girod is the first and second hour president for TSA. Officers were selected in one of the two STEM classes. STEM stands for Science Technology Engineering and Math. It is an honors class and serves as an Intro Into Engineering Design class for freshmen. Girod noted the class and club go together.

“You don’t have to be in STEM to be in TSA, but it kind of goes hand in hand with STEM,” she said.

The club members and TSA adviser Gretchen Taylor both want more students to add to their current total of around 40 members.

“It’s open to anyone on campus, not just STEM kids,” she said. “It’s open to anyone who’s interested.”

TSA students have the choice to attend regional and state competition. Girod is looking forward to the events.

“I think it will be fun to compete at all the competitions and go to state competition,” Girod said.

She has not gone to a TSA competition before. However, first and second hour secretary freshman Melody Waugh was in TSA last year at the middle school. Although the club did not go to competition, Waugh still did the work for the photography category.

“Each year there’s a theme,” Waugh said. “Last year’s theme was Around Your Town.”

Even though this is the club’s first year, groups and individuals will be competing in the spring.

“We’re going to go just to get the experience and have some fun,” Taylor said.

Club members do not have to go to competition. Anyone can simply participate and have a good time, according to Taylor.

“It’s just an opportunity for kids to explore new technologies, develop confidence, presentation skills,” Taylor said. “I would love to see TSA meet the extracurricular needs of any kid who’s interested in learning more about a technology field.”

Although the club has not started on their projects for competition yet, Taylor predicts there will eventually be meetings after school for those who are competing.

To join TSA, students can contact Taylor or go to the next meeting. The club meets on the second Tuesday of every month at 7:30 a.m. and during sixth hour. Dues are $10. Fundraisers will be held for students wanting to go to competition.