Mmmbeth deemed mmmodel play

The lights go down, the curtains go up and the play begins.

Students who went to “Mmmbeth” on Oct. 22 experienced moments of laughter and shock while they watched their fellow classmates perform a show that they had been preparing for weeks.

As the show started, students saw three witches gathered around a faux fire while standing on a pallet made to look like a forrest. Next to the fake trees, there was a backdrop painted to look like rooms of a luxurious house.

Much of the audience didn’t know that in order to make this setting, students spent hours painting, building and moving large sets. Although some of the components of the stage were already built and were being reused, the performers and stagecraft class worked very hard on making it look good.

The money that the drama department gets from selling the tickets for the play goes to buying the rights of the play, buying materials for costumes and building materials for the sets. After it’s all finished, the amount of money spent on the production is more than one might expect.

“You see this finished product, but the amount of time and small materials that go into it begin to add up,” drama teacher Shep Pamplin said.

Sophomore Josh Henry is part of the stage crew. They helped build the sets, run the lights and run the cues. Henry was supposed to be running the spotlights, but Pamplin asked him to run cues instead.

“I had to follow the script, read where the cues were and call it over the headset,” Henry said.

Pamplin is very proud of his students.

“This cast was more on top of it than ever,” Pamplin said.

Many of the students who participated in the production worked on it every day after school for weeks. They practiced their lines, made the props, built and painted the sets, sewed the costumes and ran the play several times. Pamplin described the students as being very organized and prepared for the play.

He also described how his students were very responsible by organizing their props and knowing where everything was which “makes it less hectic backstage.”

Senior Jacob Fitzgerald describes the extremely not-hectic scene backstage while the actors weren’t performing.

“We were supposed to be running lines, but most of us just sat on the sofas,”  he said.

Pamplin said that they wanted to make the performers comfortable backstage, so they put a line of sofas there.

While the students were relaxing backstage, Pamplin was walking around, watching his students’ performances.

“I was constantly assessing what was going on onstage, has [the performer] missed their blocking and can we correct it for the next show,” Pamplin said, “It’s an ongoing assessment and just holding your breath to get to the end of the show with no disaster.”

And no disaster occurred. In fact, some of the actors enjoyed it, despite all of the work that they all had to put into the production.

“It was fun,” Fitzgerald said, “I’m glad I was in it.”