Track runs into new season

Sophomore+Haley+Irwin+swings+over+the+bar+in+her+pole+vaulting+event.+

Natascha Mercadante

Sophomore Haley Irwin swings over the bar in her pole vaulting event.

On your mark. Get set. BANG!

At the sound of a gun runners set off into hurdles, relays, dashes, runs and shot put on Feb. 13 at Enid.

Sophomore Skylar Standokes got third in the long jump event with lots of competition.

“Competition was challenging, but yet not challenging,” Standokes said. “You go out there and do your best, and you end up on top.”

She said her jump went well.

“It was better than it was last Friday,” Standokes said. “I’m not hitting the board just yet, but I plan to by the end of the season.”

Standokes also ran in one of the relays. Being indoors meant not running a single lap, but two laps to compensate the distance of an outdoor track length, which is about twice the size of an indoor track.

“It’s a mental block of saying I have to do two laps, instead of just one,” Standokes said.

Senior Tyler Mitcham has been doing track since sophomore year. He says that he did his best to win.

“I almost made the finals, but I was short running on the wood track in the indoor facility,” Mitcham said. “It was hard because of the traction.”

Mitcham said he needs to improve on the hurdles. However, he says he has improved enough to make it to state.

“I hope to go to state,” Mitcham said. “I really think I have a chance if I work and prepare for it.”

However, in the pole vaulting event the indoor environment isn’t a drawback, according to pole vaulting coach David Starnes.

“In all reality it’s better because you don’t have to worry about the elements,” Starnes said.

The pole vault team did well according to Starnes.

“We’re really young, and we’ll continue working on technique,” Starnes said.

The shot put coach, Tim Buben, said his players got in some practice before the event started.

“We got them started a little early and got some extra practice,” Buben said. “It’s fundamental work, so it’ll be a little while before it goes to work.”

Buben plans to improve on consistency.

“Being able to do the same thing over and over without having a mistake,” Buben said.

He goes on to say that 70 percent of practice is technical practice, positions and movement. The rest is conditioning, strength and speed.