Construction causes temporary inconvenience, permanent rewards

As most people know, change is inevitable. It happens every day, and for the students returning from winter break, it seemed to happen overnight.

While students were busy sleeping off semester finals and spending the holidays with their families, the school came alive with the sound of construction. Students arrived to find a new world, one with long stretches of once familiar hallways and classrooms.

One of the major changes was the deconstruction of the West Building, which meant that all classes in that building would have to find a new home. The outsourced classes consisted mostly of freshmen and computer classes. Some teachers were moved to makeshift rooms in the Student Center and art building, while others were given more permanent residence in the new hallway that connects the old and new main buildings.

Freshman Caden Bowles found it hard to adjust to his new surroundings and maneuver through the unfamiliar, crowded hallways.

“I didn’t think it would be difficult, but it was,” Bowles said. “The entire school is closer together, and the [people] are a lot more rowdy.”

He was not the only one who had trouble finding the new classrooms; office aids who had gotten used to navigating their way around the school are now confused by the shift.

“I don’t know where any of the classes are,” senior/office aid Rebecca Brewer said.

The difficulties didn’t stop in the hallways, however. Bowles said the construction racket and odd classroom arrangements are distracting him and hindering his learning.

“The makeshift rooms in the Student Center are the worst,” Bowles said. “There is no hallway, and the walls don’t touch the ceiling.”

He said teachers were also affected by the change of scenery.

“Now that [the teachers] are at the base of DHS with all the principals, counselors and other teachers, they’ve been a lot stricter,” Bowles said.

However, the campus changes were not all for the worse. For sophomore Rebekah Kafer, the changes were welcome.

“I don’t have to walk to China to get to my classes anymore,” Kafer said.

She thinks the changes were not only beneficial due to their proximity but also because the new building is in better shape.

“I like it,” Kafer said. “It’s cleaner, nicer to look at and the desks are more comfortable.”

While construction may cause a few bumps along the road to completion, these problems are temporary, and students look forward to a finished school.

“The effects of construction are far greater than the minor inconveniences that we have to deal with now,” Brewer said. “I can’t wait to come back in the future to see the finished product.”