Track prepares for season

Natascha Mercadante

Sophomore Haley Irwin practices the pole vault running technique.

The track season has officially started, and goals for the team and individuals have been set.

Coach Todd Ledford says he’s always excited to get a new season started.

“I want to be the best coach I can be, but I also want the team to finish and be first or second at state,” Ledford said.

Senior Rebecca Brewer has high expectations for the season. She expects the track team will have a good girls and boys team. However, the team is young.

Brewer says the team has a lot of freshmen on the team this year.

“I know that we’re pretty young and we have to start over,” Brewer said. “We have a bunch of freshmen coming up, and I will probably help them with the hurdles and the sprints.”

Senior Kolton Anderson said he hopes this season goes better than last year’s season.

“I broke my leg at a football incident last year,”  Anderson said. “This year I plan on being better.”

Anderson’s goal is to qualify for state in disk and wants the team to win at state.

“We’ve gotten runner up the last couple of years, so I would like us to do better,” he said.

Two of Brewer’s personal goals are to win the 300 at state and to win the 100 hurdles.

At practices the team is mainly in the weight room because of the current chilly weather. Brewer’s ab work is her favorite workout the runners can do.

“That’s a program one of the coaches normally lead,” Brewer said.

Ledford said the seniors are in small numbers, and the freshmen are about the same number as they were last year.

“Normally we do have a lot of freshmen, but we have a small senior class,” Ledford said.

Freshman Savannah Reynolds says she’s excited for this year, but high school track is different from middle school track. Reynolds said you shouldn’t let the people of older ages intimidate you.

“It’s a lot more competitive,” Reynolds said. “You have to run against against people who are older than you, unlike in middle school where it was people who were your age.”

However, Reynolds aims to be like the seniors on the team.

“I really look up to [the seniors],” Reynolds said. “I want to be like them one day.”