Reflections prepares for competition

Show choir is singing their way straight to the top.

This year, Reflections has been working extremely hard to get their choreography and voices in tip top shape for their first competition, which will be hosted by the high school on Feb. 18. All the members have put time and energy into practicing.

Senior Courtney Cronk knows just how difficult show choir can be.

“It is a challenge at times for everyone as a group to pick up the choreography and learn the words and notes of the songs we sing to,” Cronk said. “We meet most days at lunch to practice the material we have learned already and sometimes we add to it.”

With a tight practice schedule, the show choir students have been having a very short lunch break. Their practice takes up the majority of their lunch time.

“We usually have about 20 minutes to get our food and eat it, but Mr. Zinn and Ms. Blakeburn are pretty lenient about letting us finish our lunch as long as it’s in a reasonable time,” Cronk said.

With the tough practices and complicated schedules, every member has to have a passion for music. Senior Kennedy Villalon says that through all the difficult rehearsals and challenges of competitions, the students commit themselves to show choir.

“Being in Reflections is an extremely big commitment because to be able to get a lot of our practice done and be ready for competitions we have to sometimes sacrifice after school hours and lunch to fit it all in,” Villalon said.

The show choir is pushing through the exhausting rehearsals, so they can be perfect at their competition. Many of the students and teachers feel as though they are very ready to participate in this year’s competition.

“I feel so much more prepared this year compared to last year,” Villalon said. “Our group this year is so amazing and are all fast learners, so we’ve been able to pick up on dances and learn our music scary quick.”

Because of all the time spent on stage and in class together, the show choir forms close friendships. Music teacher Kevin Zinn sees all his students as his family, and they get attached to each other quickly.

“We have always been a family,” Zinn said. “Sometimes we’re dysfunctional, but still a family.”