Musicians collaborate for year-end concert

On May 12 and 13, the Duncan High School Percussion Ensemble, Jazz Band and Concert Band gave their final performances of the year.

On Monday night, the Percussion group was joined by band members who usually play woodwind or brass instruments to create the different ensemble groups that kept their audience tapping along.

Along with these ensemble groups were two sophomore marimba soloists who have been playing for five years. The soloists were Bridget Tolle and Cheyenne Battiest.

Battiest, who used the Stevens Grip to perform the piece “Rain Dance,” was very pleased with her performance.

“It was the best I had performed [the song],” Battiest said.

Many agree the concert was a success.

“I thought it was very good,” Battiest said. “We all worked really hard this year. I really thought it was a huge success.”

The success kept going into the next night to top off a successful season.

“I feel like [the season] went well. It was tough at times but the kids did what they needed to,” Andrew Orr, Assistant Band Director, said.

Senior Summer Sisson, who has played for six years, agrees.

“I feel everyone did well,” Sisson said. “[The band members] put a lot of effort in.”

For some, this wasn’t the last concert of the season but for all of high school. The seniors were recognized during the concert and were given a final and proud farewell.

“I’m proud they followed through with the commitment they made,” Orr said. “They will be missed.”

Junior Cat Casto, who has been playing for six years, will also notice the difference.

“I’m going to miss them,” said Casto.

Even though this is Sisson’s last high school concert, she doesn’t think this will be the last time she plays her trombone.

“It is something I enjoy,” Sisson said.

During the summer months when the seniors are diving into the adult world or preparing for the next step, there are still three other grades that have another year to look forward to.

“Even without Jazz band I generally play piano,” freshman Mattie Bivens, who has been playing for four years, said about playing during the summer.

Others are less enthusiastic.

“This will probably be the last time I play my oboe,” Casto said.

There is no way to know if these seniors, juniors, sophomores or freshmen will pick up their instruments ever again or just wait until the end of summer. The coming marching band season will bring many surprises.