• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Requiem for a Dream Review

Jade Armstrong, Reporter

Focused solely around the touchy subject that is drug addiction, Requiem for a Dream is a beautiful, realistic and vivid portrayal of what life can really be like in the midst of a drug-induced haze. Directed by Darren Aronofsky and released in the year 2000, this is a little known psychological drama film not recommended for people with weak stomachs. It features some extremely graphic scenes, but they are instrumental in the portrayal of the main point. The film was adapted from the book published in 1978, and it’s truly a hidden gem.

The film focuses on four different characters with different but intertwining stories throughout its 1 hour and 42-minute length. These characters would be Harry Goldfarb, his mother, Sara Goldfarb, his girlfriend Marion Silver and his best friend Tyrone Love. Harry is a classic dealer, Tyrone has mama issues, Marion is the classic teenage rebel and Sara is a lonely old woman who spends her days watching television and sunning herself outside with friends.

The most interesting character is Harry, who is simply using unorthodox methods to try to keep himself and those he cares about happy. Mrs. Goldfarb deserves the most pity, for the things she goes through are truly no fault of hers. While Tyrone and Marion are important to the plot and each has their own stories, their importance mostly stems from their relationship with Harry who could be considered the protagonist of the story.

This movie takes viewers on a wild ride, full of emotion and sharp twists and turns. It provides a full experience that leaves behind a feeling of emptiness, followed by the questioning of existence. It’s truly a painful viewing, though the new perspective that it brings with it is worth everything. 10/10.