Learning a new language is easier than ever

Desteny Bettencourt, Entertainment Editor

Duolingo is a free language-learning app. It has up to 15 languages to learn. Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Russian, Ukrainian, Esperanto, Polish, Turkish and English. Duolingo allows anyone to learn more than one language at once. The app takes you through multiple levels of learning whichever language is selected. It starts by teaching simple one words and then moves into full sentences. There are exercises that have you type out the sentences in English when you hear it. As a way to make the learning easier, it verbally says every word and will repeat if you press on a word you have a question about.

The levels are simple. It gives a sentence and translation is by tapping a few boxes with words in them to form a sentence. When getting halfway through learning, they have  encouraging messages between the levels. For example, they will have a message that says, “Good job, keep going!” and even, “Mistakes help you learn.” It really helps if you’re feeling like giving up and no determination to finish. There are no ads to interrupt and it is available at anytime. The creators of the app keep it going by having additional options that you can pay for. It has a daily goal and if you exceed the goal you can win prizes for the app. You can purchase a pass, so if you miss a day of learning, you won’t lose your daily streak. The only bad thing the app could work on is how slow it is without WiFi. The app still works, it just is not as fast.

In all, Duolingo is an amazing app that I would suggest for anyone who wants to learn a new language easily and have fun while doing it.