• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Filed under Sports

Athletes sign into Colleges

Kicking her way to the next level, senior, Stephanie Wainscott, earned the honor to sign a soccer contract with Rose State College, located in Midwest City, and will begin the next phase of her life this fall.

Wainscott has always dreamed of playing soccer in college. When she was introduced to Rose State, she was very impressed and could see her dream coming true.

“When touring the college, I could picture myself there,” Wainscott said.

While touring, she visited with the head soccer coach.

“The coach was very welcoming,” Wainscott said.

The process of signing the soccer contract turned out to be a breeze for her. Wainscott even applied for scholarships during her visit.

“I received the Community Scholars Tuition Waiver Scholarship and Amelia Earhart Community Scholar shortly after I had an interview at Rose State,” Wainscott said.

Wainscott’s coach and family were very encouraging of her decision.

“My parents encouraged me to do what was best for me,” Wainscott said.

She is looking forward to meeting her new team and improving on her soccer skills.

“[I’m] anxious and excited for it all to start,” Wainscott said.

… and out

Serious student athletes often dream to get the chance to play sports for their preferred college. As of late, there have been a number of Duncan athletes signing contracts to play at the next level and move on to greater things. Some have even chosen to attend out of state colleges and establish a name for themselves there.

Seniors Justin Morris and Paityn Bower have taken this initiative. Morris has signed with Ottawa University in Kansas to play basketball. He has always had the goal to one day play college basketball and set his eyes on Ottawa recently.

“I started talking to Mr. Hood about what I needed to do to get my name out there,” Morris said. “I then took his advice and filled out the information on the Ottawa website and they contacted me later on.”

According to Athletic Director Zack Hood, the process of getting your name out to colleges has been made simpler due to technology and social media.

“Honest to goodness, all we have to do is set it up,” Hood said. “Parents and kids can do a lot more.”

Bower was able to be in contact with tennis coaches from a number of universities but her heart was set on Kansas Wesleyan University.

“I really like the campus and the team. At first I brushed it off, but when I visited I knew it was the place for me,” Bower said.

The process of reaching out to colleges was stressful for Bower, but she’s excited for the outcome.

“Branching out as far as Kansas was hard to swing during the school year,” Bower said. “[Though], being in contact with multiple coaches was fun.”

Unlike Bower, Morris isn’t nervous for the move.

“I’m excited to be going away and [getting] to meet new friends,” Morris said.

Both Bower and Morris had family and friends who were very supportive of their decisions.

“Some people were negative at first because of the distance, but everyone adjusted and are very happy and proud of what I achieved,” Bower said.

Hood wishes the two athletes the best.

“Good luck and be patient,” Hood said. “Understand that this is the biggest transitional time of your life and it is not high school.”