• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Filed under Opinion

EOIs, scheduling hiccups cause unnecessary stress

Toward the end of every school year, students, teachers and administrators prepare for the annual exams. Students involved carry the weight of possible failure on their shoulders throughout the testing season. This year, the dates of exams have been moved around and have left students unsure of the day they must test, which can add additional stress and worry to the already hectic time.

These last-minute changes might have caused many students to not score as high as they could have if they were better informed and prepared.

Some might say that students have had the whole year to learn the information on the tests and the movement of dates shouldn’t have caused a dramatic difference in their grade. This notion might have some logic behind it, but for those with test anxiety or those who were looking forward to study over things learned earlier in the year during the day or week prior to their original exam day, this sudden change can cause them to panic and forget the information.

Graduation coach Denise Clark assists in the scheduling of EOIs and says the cause of the date changes are due to conflict with other events, such as sports events and difficulty of finding volunteers to observe tests.

“We were relying totally on the community,” Clark said.

After the first schedule was approved, it was posted on the school’s website and divvied up amongst core-subject teachers via email.

“The original schedule was made available to teachers as early as possible,” Clark said.

Clark also explained that she informed teachers as soon as she could about the changes, though she was unsure whether every teacher relayed the message to their students.

Regardless, it would have been much more helpful for students and faculty to learn this information in a more efficient way, such as over the intercom system, so teachers wouldn’t accidentally mix the new testing dates up or forget to tell students.

EOIs are very stress-inducing, without having scheduling mishaps, and the whole process could have gone more smoothly if people were properly informed. Clark says that if she has the opportunity to take part in the scheduling next year, she’ll try to inform faculty sooner and have a general meeting with every teacher present, not just core subject advisers, as everybody needs to be better informed.