• May 19Catch senior quotes in our Feature section ...

Filed under News

Senior year anticipated

The end of junior year, the big transition, going from wee little juniors to big dog seniors. As senior year approaches, it brings a lot of different emotions along with it. These emotions vary from excitement to terror depending on each individual student. Many juniors, however, are just excited to be getting so close to graduation.

“I’m super excited, I’m really ready to just get senior year over with and start college,” junior Zowie Smith said.

She plans on spending the first six years after graduation going to college to be a nurse practitioner. Although she’s nervous, Smith has chosen to embrace everything her senior year will bring, the good and the bad.

“A new year brings new difficulties and you can prepare as much as you want, but things will come up. I’m always busy and trying to do the best that I can,” Smith said. “I still have a lot left to do, I graduate next May then I’m getting married that September. I have a feeling that senior year will be full of surprises.”

With senior year comes quite a few new responsibilities, such as applying for colleges, scholarships or getting everything together and catching up on classes still needed to graduate.

In fact, the end of junior year and the start of senior year is usually about the time people start to realize how important everything they’ve been doing actually is.

“Honestly I’m really proud of myself because I never thought I would make it this far,” Sierra Soto said. “I have dropped out four times in the last three years, so I’m really glad I got my stuff together and I’m going to graduate soon.”

Although senior year can be stressful and it’s pushing the brink of entering adulthood, Smith believes it’s important to have fun and enjoy her last year in high school. She plans to participate in as many things as possible and enjoy her last year as much as she can.

“We have got to realize that after high school we’re going to have to go out into the real world, so as a senior I want to have as much fun as I possibly can,” Smith said. “Everyone’s so ready to just grow up and move and have a plan, but we tend to focus on the future when we should focus on what we’re doing right now, which is being a kid and staying out too late and having fun with our friends.”

Becoming a senior can bring things a little more into perspective. It makes people realize how close they are to leaving high school and truly beginning their life.